初三九年级英语课外阅读材料下载

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-8-21 12:39:45 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
九年级英语课外阅读材料
选自《21世纪英文报》3.11-5.6
1. 初中生快乐玩转微博。词数 300 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Every night, Lin Zhengjiang has one hour spare after his homework. He spends this time on Sina Weibo.
He follows over 200 users, mainly pop stars and his classmates. He sends over 100 messages a week.
Micro blogs like Weibo are nothing new for the young Chinese. A newspaper in Chengdu did a survey last month. It found that 90 percent of junior high school students use micro blogs.
They give students an outlet (出口) for emotion (情绪). “I use micro blogs to record my life. I let everyone ‘see’ my feelings and complaints (抱怨),” said Liu Fangyue, 14, from Xiamen No 1 Middle School.
Or they have fun with classmates even after school. “I would send a message to praise someone who ranked first in the exam,” said Liu.
Teachers also join in the fun. “When I sit down to talk to my students, they may not tell me their real thoughts,” said Lu Dongping at Nanning No 2 Middle School. “But on micro blogs, they are more relaxed. They even make fun of me.”
You would be wrong if you think micro blogs are all about fun. Zhong Yun from Xiamen Haicang Experimental School see it as a tool (工具) to learn English.
The 13-year-old follows foreign stars such as Avril Lavigne and Justin Bieber.
“In order to understand their English posts, I have to check the dictionary and learn many new words,” said Zhong.
Micro blogs widen students’ perspectives (观点), but there are rules to follow, said Shi Zhongying, a professor from Beijing Normal University.
“Manage your time, and don’t let micro-blogging affect your study and health,” said Shi. “Don’t give out your name, family address and phone number on micro blogs. You should also respect truth and other people’s privacy (隐私).”

2. 毕业临近之际,留下你最想说的话。词数 300 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Looking back on three magical years
The summer holidays are on their way! That means an end to your junior high school life. What do you have to say now it’s all come to an end? Is there a special person you want to thank? Here’s what some of our readers will be saying.
Li Chaoze, 16, Taiyuan, Shanxi:
I really want to say thank you to my grandmother. My parents work in another city. So I am living with my grandmother. She encouraged me and told me not to give up when I was sad and had no more hope for my life. I did what she told me to do. Now I am full of confidence again!
Wang Jia, 15, Nantong, Jiangsu:
Lulu, my best friend, I have spent three years in junior high with you. I just heard that you will go abroad to study. I am sad I cannot study with you in the senior high school. But I know going abroad is your dream so I will also be happy for you. Wherever you go, just remember that we are best friends forever.
Zhang Jie, 14, Jinan, Shandong:
I want to say sorry to my parents. My father and mother did a lot for me over my three years in middle school. Sometimes I saw my mother crying when I got low marks (分数) in my exams. Please trust (相信) me, Mom and Dad. I will keep trying until the end!
Zong Ze, 15, Xiamen, Fujian:
I want to talk to Pan, the boy next door. Pan, you are my idol (偶像). You are so talented in English. I have worked hard for three years and I believe I will move up to your high school this year! We will be schoolmates. And I will join the School English Speech Competition next year.

3. 当个电影明星真不容易!词数 280 建议阅读时间 6分钟
What is it like being a film star? What’s it like in front of the camera? Students from Steamboat Springs Middle School in the US could tell you exactly what it’s like. They recently got a taste of the life of a star.
A local movie company decided to produce a film. All the actors in this film were to be students. Fourteen students were chosen from the school. The film, called Ruby vs Wolfgang, was based on the story of Little Red Riding Hood (《小红帽》). It came with a twist (改变), however – the story was told from the perspective (看法) of the wolf.

Zoe Walsh, a seventh-grader, signed up to do behind-the-scenes work. But she soon found herself in front of the camera instead. She played a strange middle school student in the film.
“It’s just fun,” she told the Steamboat Today. “Just pretending (假装) that you’re someone else.”
But there were also difficulties. It was very cold during shooting. Students had to put up with snow and icy wind.
Lack (缺乏) of experience was another problem. The director Michael Staley said he tried to “help each student bring out the wolf – or whatever animal they were representing – in themselves”.
Erus Harrington, an eighth-grader, said he played a “nice, silly British guy”. He learned the British accent (口音) all on his own.
“I just kind of taught myself how to do it by watching videos,” he said. “It makes me feel good after I do it because I’m proud of myself.”
The students will watch themselves on the big screen for the first time during the film festival at a local high school in May.
“I’m probably going to laugh at myself,” said Zach Walsh, the brother of Zoe.

4. 太阳能:保护人类家园的绿色能源。词数 290 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Thousands of years ago, people didn’t know that the Earth moved. They thought the sun really did move across the sky. The Greek god Helios was said to drive the sun around the sky with his chariot (战车). But now, these ideas have all changed. Nowadays, it is the sun that drives our “chariot” around the sky.

So what does all this mean? Well, quite simply, there is now a plane (or “chariot”) that is powered by the sun. It has special parts in its wings. These parts absorb power from the sun. They absorb so much power that they can carry on flying at night. In the Greek myths, Helios had to take a break at night. It seems we’re finally even more efficient than the gods themselves.

This plane is called Solar Impulse (“太阳驱动”号). It will fly across the US in May. This is very important for the future of the world.

So why is solar energy so good for us? Well, other kinds of energy cause a few problems. If you live in China, you’ve probably noticed the pollution. This is caused by burning coal or gas to make energy. The heat and chemicals (化学制品) from this make things work. But if we use the heat from the sun, we don’t have to burn anything, and there’s no pollution.

Solar energy is not all there yet. It needs to be improved. But the best thing about it is that, unlike coal and gas, it doesn’t run out. Solar Impulse could pretty much keep flying forever. Well, actually, the sun will run out too, one day, but not for another 5 billion years. That’s a pretty long flight.

分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 顶41 踩9
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2013-8-21 12:40:04 | 只看该作者
5. 可口可乐之父:约翰•彭伯顿。词数 240 建议阅读时间 5分钟
Coke changed the world
You may not know the name John Smith Pemberton, but you must know the name of his invention: Coca-Cola.

Pemberton was a US pharmacist (药剂师). When he was wounded (受伤) in the Civil War, he used medicine to ease the pain and gradually got addicted (上瘾) to it. To quit the addiction, he created his own drink using leaves of coca and nuts of kola. He named it “Pemberton’s French Wine Coca”. In the same year, the local government enacted temperance legislation (禁酒令). Pemberton had to change the recipe.

On May 8, 1886, Pemberton invited pharmacist Willis Venable to test and help him perfect his new recipe. They used carbonated (碳酸的) water and finally invented a new drink. It had no alcohol but could also ease pain and clear the mind. Pemberton decided to sell it as a drink rather than a medicine. In 1887, Pemberton sold part of the stock (股份) of his company to Asa Candler, who created the Coca-Cola Company later.

Nowadays, Coca-Cola has become one of the most popular drinks in the world. And this drink is still made with its original ingredients (配方). Its secret recipe has been kept in the SunTrust Bank in Atlanta for 86 years until the end of 2011. Now it’s kept in the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. The company only offers semi-finished products to partners and won’t sell the original ingredients.

6. 找个时间和爸爸妈妈谈谈心。词数 280 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Pan Weihong, 14, from Taizhou, Zhejiang, was watching news on her computer when her mother came in. Her mother immediately (立即) ordered her to turn off the computer, but Pan refused.
“I was taking a rest. I wasn’t going to use it for long,” said Pan. “But she didn’t listen. I couldn’t understand her!”
Many teenagers often feel the same as Pan. Growing up, they might feel as though their parents want to control (控制) them.
The main reason behind this all is that teenagers are becoming more independent (独立的) and want to make their own decisions, but parents have their worries too.
In Pan’s case, her mother thought Pan was “too young to use the computer properly”.
Besides, both children and parents have stresses in their own lives. Children have to study hard. Their parents need to support the whole family. Without a proper way to ease (减轻) the stress, it’s easy to bring it home with you.
To solve the problem, children should walk in their parents’ shoes (从父母的角度思考问题), said Xia Ziting, 15, from Nanjing, Jiangsu.
“What our parents do is based on life experience that we don’t have now. More often than not, they are right,” she said. “They may just use the wrong way of telling us.”
Wang Jiannan, 15, from Taiyuan, Shanxi, advised that teenagers find the right time and right way to talk to their parents.
“Don’t argue with them when they’re very angry. It’s taken me many painful (痛苦的) lessons to learn that,” he laughed.
Wang suggested talking to parents in an easy tone when doing housework together, during a walk, or, as he usually does, at dinnertime.
“After all, no one wants to argue on an empty stomach (肚子)!” he said.

7. 地震无情人间有爱,全国人民为雅安祈福。词数 300 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Ten days ago, Yang Xuelan, 18, was preparing for the college entrance examination, just like every Senior 3 student. However, a 7-magnitude (震级) earthquake hit her hometown, Ya’an, Sichuan on April 20.
Yang ran to the playground. She was safe. But all her study materials were buried in the classroom. A university in Chengdu lent a helping hand. Now Yang and her classmates are studying there.
The earthquake killed at least 196 and injured more than 12,000. Soldiers and experts arrived at the quake zone (震区) in no time. They helped rescue people and rebuild homes. Tens of thousands of people have donated money and materials to help.
There is little we can do to stop natural disasters such as earthquakes from happening. But we can try to make ourselves better prepared for these disasters.
Japan is considered to be one of the best countries at dealing with earthquakes. From a young age, the Japanese are taught how to keep safe in earthquakes. Schools in Japan often take earthquake drills (演练).
Almost every Japanese family has a survival kit (救生包), which has a flashlight, a radio, water and enough food for several days. This helps people to stay alive after an earthquake.
What can we do when an earthquake happens? Some methods can reduce the harm they cause. The American Red Cross introduced the “Drop, Cover & Hold on” method.
•Drop down onto your hands and knees. This position protects you from falling.
•Cover your head and neck under a strong table or desk. If there is no shelter (遮盖物) nearby, you can also stay along a wall, and cover your head and neck with your arms and hands.
•Hold on to your shelter until the shaking stops. Be prepared to move with your shelter if the shaking shifts it around.

8. 科学:探寻现象背后的真理。词数 280 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Around 200 years ago, a well-known English poet called John Keats attacked science. He said that British scientist Isaac Newton had “unweaved (拆解) the rainbow”. Newton explained how light forms a rainbow. For Keats, this explanation meant rainbows could no longer be beautiful.

This is just one example of many. We often hear people talk of problems with science, or say that it is boring. Some people, like Keats, also say that science takes away the beauty of the world. But is this fair?

First of all, science helps us get things done. We need to study science to produce certain kinds of people. After all, where would we be without engineers and doctors? When you are studying science in school, remember that one day you might be using that knowledge to build a bridge, or save a life. Next time you use your phone to send a message, remember that this is possible thanks to science. When Keats criticized Newton, the very paper he wrote on was created through science.

Beyond helping society and getting things done, science also makes us think in a certain way. It asks us to believe things only through evidence. It teaches us never to trust our assumptions (假设). It teaches us that sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction.

When you study science, remember what it means. Science has changed the world, and it can change you too. Humans once looked up at rainbows, and said that they were beautiful. Science explained them, and they were no longer mysterious to us.

But discovery never stops. Through science, we can find new rainbows: mysteries that lie beyond the stars themselves.

9. 惊险刺激的野营游戏。词数 280 建议阅读时间 6分钟
My school went on a camp in the north of the city recently. We did simple things like cooking food in the bush and sleeping in tents. But it’s the exciting activities that I enjoyed most.
One of the activities was called Flying Fox. When you are taking part in the activity, you are attached to a wire (金属线) that stretches (延伸) from the top of a cliff (悬崖) to the ground. Then you jump off the cliff. There are very strong ropes (麻绳) and clips so you are very safe.
Before I went on the Flying Fox, I was a bit nervous. My classmates kept on encouraging me. So I closed my eyes and jumped. I felt my whole body was flying! It was so exciting!
Some students in my class were also afraid of doing it at first. We just cheered them up and supported them. In the end, everyone in my class enjoyed it.
Another activity was called High Ropes. You needed to walk on a wire in midair. To balance yourself, you should hold the ropes that are hanging in the trees. Every time you walk on and grab the next rope, the space between the ropes becomes longer.
I once missed a rope and fell from the wire. My heart was in my mouth! Thanks to the protection equipment (设备), I didn’t fall to the ground. I pulled myself up and kept going.
When I arrived at the destination (目的地), I felt so pleased. I thought it was like life: you just have to keep going no matter what happens.
This camp was really enjoyable. I hope I can go to more camps in the future.

10. The drive of a lifetime  词数 260 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Twenty years ago, I drove a taxi for a living. One time in the middle of the night, an old lady in her 80s took my taxi. She gave me an address, and then asked: “Could you drive through downtown?”
“It’s not the shortest way,” I answered quickly.
“Oh, I don’t mind,” she said. “I’m in no hurry. I’m on my way to a hospice (临终关怀医院). I don’t have any family left. The doctor says I don’t have very long.”
I quietly shut off the meter (里程表). “What route would you like me to take?” I asked.
For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked, the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived, the place where she danced as a girl. As the sun was rising, she asked me to go to the address she had given me.
“How much do I owe you?” she asked, reaching into her purse.
“Nothing,” I said.
“You have to make a living,” she answered.
“There are other passengers.”
“You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,” she said. “Thank you.”
I drove into the fine morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life. I drove aimlessly (漫无目的地), lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run?
回复

使用道具 举报

板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2013-8-21 12:40:44 | 只看该作者
11. 放飞我们的“中国梦”。词数 300 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Follow your dream
Everyone has dreams. President Xi Jinping said that with dreams, opportunities and hard work, beautiful things could be created.
Now the “Chinese dream” is a hot topic around the country. The Chinese dream aims to realize the great renewal (复兴) of the Chinese nation.
The country is like a big family. Every one of us can do something for our family. Everyone’s small dreams will help us to finally achieve the “Chinese dream”.
Xu Tinghua, 14, is a Junior 2 student at Wenhui Middle School in Beijing. She is now working hard for her dream.
“I want to learn English well and be a translator in the future. In the age of globalization (全球化), I want to help my country better communicate with the outside world,” Xu said.
With the success of every citizen, our country will become a better one. And, as our country is getting stronger, more Chinese people have the chance to realize their dreams.
Ji Yichao, is one of the lucky dream chasers. Ji, 20, is now a student at Beijing Information Science and Technology University.
He has dreamed of having a big company since he was at primary school. Ji worked hard to reach his goal. He developed Mammoth, an Internet browser (浏览器) when he was just a senior high school student. It became the most popular browser made by individuals in the Apple Store. At 19, Ji founded his Internet company Peak Labs.
On March 8, Forbes China magazine named him one of the top Chinese entrepreneurs (企业家) under 30.
Besides his own effort, Ji credits his success to the country. “The era (时代) I was born in and the economic level of China’s society give me a great sense of security (安全). It helps in focusing my attention on software development,” Ji said.
关于梦想的名句:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursure them.只要我们有追梦的勇气,所有的梦想都能实现。
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.未来属于那些相信梦想的力量的人。
Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.把人生当做永恒那样去追逐梦想;把今天当做最后一天那样活着。
12. How to have a good exam
Learning to deal with stress is key to passing any exam. If you feel nervous when taking an exam, take a deep breath and tell yourself to take it easy. Here are six steps to follow.
Show up on time. Arriving late might make you feel rushed and nervous, and arriving too early could give you time to sit there and worry about things.
Pace (调整步调) yourself. Make sure you know how much time you will have in the exam, and how many questions there will be. That way you can plan your time to make sure that all the questions get answered.
Don’t waste time. If you see questions you don’t know, don’t spend too much time on them. Remember you have to answer all the questions.
Handwriting. Neat (整洁的) and clean handwriting is easier for the examiner to read.
Use all your time. If you finish the test before the time is up, don’t just sit there. Go back over the questions, especially the ones that seemed hard, and check your work.
Move on. Once an exam is over, forget about it. The best thing you can do is go home and study for the next one.
13. Ways to stop bird flu from taking off
H7N9来袭,预防禽流感知多少?词数 470 建议阅读时间 9分钟
Spring is an inviting season for outdoor activities. But be careful – the warm weather is also a hotbed for viruses (病毒) and disease.
This March, the influenza (流行性感冒) A (H7N9) virus hit Shanghai, Anhui, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. It was reported that by April 11 at least 35 people had been infected (被感染的) with the H7N9 virus, and nine of them had died.
The influenza A (H7N9) virus is one type of influenza A H7 viruses. Influenza A H7 viruses normally spread among birds.
This is the first time human infections with H7N9 viruses have been reported in China. Earlier reports were about H5N1 and H1N1.
All the three viruses are influenza A viruses but they are not the same. H7N9 and H5N1 are animal influenza viruses that could infect people. However, H1N1 viruses can be divided into two groups. One group can normally infect people and the other normally infects animals. Also, H1N1 can spread from human to human, but H7N9 probably can’t, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Most people infected with H7N9 looked like they had the common flu. Some people had bad pneumonia (肺炎). They suffered from a fever, a cough and shortness of breath.

But don’t be afraid – it is not easy to be infected with the virus. One of the possible reasons is close contact with sick poultry (家禽) waste. People may also be infected through breath, according to National Health and Family Planning Commission.
Here are some tips from the WHO that can protect you from being infected.
Wash your hands with soap and running water before you eat, after you use the toilet, and after touching animals or animal waste.
When coughing or sneezing (打喷嚏), cover your mouth and nose with a mask (口罩), tissue (纸巾) or a sleeve.
Get a good rest and do exercises, which will help make your body strong enough to stand up to the
回复

使用道具 举报

地板
 楼主| 发表于 2013-8-21 12:40:50 | 只看该作者
virus.

14. QQ盗号犯罪增多,网络帐号安全引关注。词数 270 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Dangers of the web
Gong Yaping, 33, a businesswoman in Beijing, was more than a little confused when she received so many phone calls and text messages from her friends one day last month. They were all talking about the same thing, “Hi, I’ve sent 1,000 yuan to your new account (帐号).” When Gong realized that her QQ password had been cracked (破译) and changed and her friends had given a lot of money to the thief, she became very angry.

Many people have had the same experience as Gong and her friends. Recently, the police in Changzhou, Jiangsu arrested (逮捕) a group of people. They cracked QQ and pretended to be the owner of the QQ accounts to ask for money from the owner’s friends and relatives. Millions of people are involved and the thief group has stolen more than 40 million yuan.

The local police explained how the thief group carried out their crime (犯罪行为). They put viruses (病毒) on some websites. When people click these links (链接) or download something from them, the virus will infect their computers. Then the virus will get the QQ accounts and passwords of the computer owners and send them to the thieves.

According to the Computer network Emergency Response Technical Team in Jiangsu, there were a total of 21,738 cases of such crimes in the province from January to October.
Dou Haiyang, an official from the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences told People’s Daily that people’s property (财产) rights should also include virtual (虚拟的) property, such as QQ and online game accounts. “It’s necessary to make laws or rules that specially protect people’s virtual property,” Dou said.
How can you keep your online account safe?
1. Never give out the password of your Internet account.
2. Don’t visit strange websites. If you get a strange link from your e-mail, never click it.
3. If your friends ask you for money through QQ, MSN or other online communicating tools, check with them in person.
15. The art of speaking

你也可以成为演讲高手!词数 315 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Public speaking is a kind of art. It makes the speaker shine and delights (使……高兴) the audience. How can we master this art? Cyrus Siu, Li Yitong and Sun Xiaomeng have some ideas.
The 12-year-olds are the winners of the junior high category (初中组) of the 11th “21st Century Cup” National High School and Primary School English Speaking Competition.
Siu, the first-place winner, from Hong Kong, believes a good speech is based on one’s personal experience.
In the competition, he shared the following topic with many contestants (选手): the person I admire most. While many others talked about famous people, Siu chose to talk about a street seller he sees every day on his way to school. In Siu’s eyes, though the seller is an ordinary person, he loves his job and is nice to everyone.
“True stories that come from your own experience can easily appeal to (吸引) the audience,” Siu said.
As well as good ideas, the way you speak it out is also important, said Li Yitong, the second-place winner, from Liaoning.
“Add some gestures (手势) to get the audience’s attention. Raise your voice a little bit when you’re speaking the part that you want to emphasize (强调). It helps others know your emotions (感情),” she said.
But what if you feel nervous in front of the public? Keep calm, said Sun Xiaomeng, the third-place winner, from Shandong.
“Don’t worry what others think about you. In fact, they may not even care!” Sun said. “Smile a little bit and speak slowly to pick up your thoughts.”
One of the judges (评委), Lin Mingjin, director of the College English Department in Fujian Normal University, had another piece of advice – take part in more related activities.
“The more you practice in front of people, the more confidence you will have,” he said.

16. 冷冰冰的机器人也可以有触觉。
词数 300 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Have you ever, in your wildest dreams, imagined that scientists could make robots that will be able to feel and touch just like humans can? In the future robots might no longer be stiff (僵硬的), metal machines. They might be able to act and even look just like us!
The system used to help robots feel is called “haptics technology”. Haptics is a word used to describe the way we understand something through the use of touch.
For example, surgeons (外科医生) can now use robotic machines in operations. But this is a bit dangerous, because the robot cannot feel anything. The surgeon can only see what the robot is doing by watching on a screen. However, US scientists have created a machine called Neo that a surgeon wears on his or her head. Neo is connected to the robot doing the operation. When the robot touches something Neo imitates (模仿) the touch on the surgeon’s head.

Neo is great news for surgeons as now they can feel what the robot is feeling. But scientists have even bigger dreams. Scientists from the Los Angeles-based SynTouch are trying to make robots that can feel for themselves just like humans. They have created sensors (传感器) that are just like the human fingertip. These sensors are at the end of the robot’s hand. A message will be sent to the robots “brain” and they will know how to hold it without breaking it.

If these scientists succeed then robots will be able to control themselves and feel just like a human. Imagine if, in 500 years, humans are no longer be the masters of the world because robots are just as smart as we are!
17.如何缓解压力?词数 290 建议阅读时间 6分钟
Don’t get stressed

Kangkang is a ninth-grader at Qingtan Middle School in Changzhou, Jiangsu. He got back home on March 1 after four days out in the open. He ran away from home because he felt stressed out about the coming senior high school entrance examination (中考). “I needed some fresh air,” he said.
The boy is not the only one stressed out over exams. Reporters from the Oriental Education Times did a survey at a Shanghai middle school. It showed that 72 percent of students feel stressed and 67 percent of these students said their stress comes from school grades.
Stress is a normal physical response to things that make people feel worried or disrupt (打乱) their lives in some way.
People often feel stressed when they take on a big job, such as performing in a play, taking a test, or playing in a sports match.
Some stress is good. It makes you more active. If you have an important test, stress can push you to study harder.
But too much stress is unhealthy. It can make it hard to concentrate. It can also make you feel worried and tired.
What is the best way to deal with stress? Chen Yifan is a student at Nanjing University of Technology. She passed the college entrance examination (高考) and has some experience to share. “During the days when I was preparing for the exams, I often took a walk and chatted with my classmates. We told each other our worries and this helped me to stay peaceful,” she said to Xinhua Daily newspaper.
Doctors suggested that, besides sharing thoughts with friends, students could also relax by listening to music, reading a book or just spending some time alone.

18. 面对校园中发生的紧急事件,你该如何保护自己?词数 379建议阅读时间 10分钟
Take care of yourself

What should you do if there’s an earthquake at school? How can you protect yourself when you are caught in a stampede (踩踏)? March 25 this year provides you with a good chance to learn about safety.
This day is called the National Day of Education on the Safety of Elementary and Middle School Students (全国中小学生安全教育日). The theme of the day this year is to give students more knowledge about safety and make sure their lives safe.
A survey done by the China Youth and Children Research Center showed that school accidents kill more elementary and middle school students than anything else. The main accidents come from stampedes, earthquakes, fires and sports injuries (伤害).
What can we do to keep ourselves safe? Staying calm is the first and most important rule when facing accidents. But different accidents have different self-protection tips.
A stampede is possible anywhere. The larger a human crowd gets, the more likely stampedes become. When students around you begin to push, stand still and try to hold onto something, or stay in a corner until the crowd leaves. If you fall down in a moving crowd, cover your head with both hands. Lean (依靠) to one side, curl up (卷起) your body and bend (弯曲) your legs.
Earthquakes are common natural disasters (灾难). When you feel the ground shake, drop down, take cover under a desk and hold on. You should stay indoors until the shaking stops. If you are outdoors, find a place away from buildings, trees, and power lines, according to Central United States Earthquake Consortium.
When there’s a fire, follow the teachers’ instructions, leave the classroom quickly and use a piece of cloth to cover your mouth and nose so that you don’t breathe (呼吸) in smoke.
Playing sports is a lot of fun; getting hurt isn’t. Before playing sports, you should warm up for 15 to 30 minutes. When doing sports, you should know the rules to avoid injuries. For example, in soccer, you should go after the ball rather than the player. This way, you won’t hurt others.
19.Owning the stage
感受林志炫满满的诚意。词数 250 建议阅读时间 5分钟

Before he starts performing, Terry Lin (林志炫) is rather a shy man. He silently waits to begin the show. But the second he starts singing, he owns the stage.
The 47-year-old singer from Taiwan started his music career 22 years ago. But his recent fame (名气) is down to his performance on a Hunan TV channel show, I’m A Singer (《我是歌手》).
Songs like You’ve Never Left (《没离开过》) and Opera showed off Lin’s voice. His cover (翻唱) of Jay Chou’s Fireworks Cool Easily (《烟花易冷》) touched many, including the song’s writer Fang Wenshan.
People say they see sincerity (诚意) in Lin’s eyes. Lin values sincerity a lot in both music and family life.
At college, Lin and his schoolmate Li Ji started the band Ukulele (优客李林). It was a success, but his parents wanted him to help with their printing house. At that time, his mother fell very ill.
“Family and health are like glass balls in my hands. If I let them fall, I can never get them back in one piece,” said Lin.
He decided to hold those balls tightly. He cut his working day into two halves. From morning to noon, he works as a salesman for the printing house. In the afternoon, he works as a singer. “I have both ordinary and colorful roles in life,” said Lin.
Maybe that’s why a man with such talent still treats people and music in such a sincere manner.
20. Don’t distance your hearts
A wise man was visiting a village with his students. He found a group of family members shouting in anger at each other. He turned to his students and asked: “Why do people shout in anger at each other?”
His students thought for a while, and one of them said: “Because when we lose our calm, we shout.”
“But, why should you shout when the other person is just next to you? You can just as well tell him what you have to say in a soft manner,” said the wise man.
Students gave some other answers but none were any good.
“When two people are angry at each other, their hearts become distanced (疏远的),” the wise man explained. “To cover that distance they must shout to be able to hear each other. The angrier they are, the louder they will have to shout to hear each other and cover that great distance.”
The wise man then gave an example: “What happens when two people fall in love? They don’t shout at each other but talk softly because their hearts are very close. When they love each other even more, what happens? They don’t need to talk. They only look at each other and that’s all. That is how close two people are when they love each other.”
He looked at his students and said: “So when you argue, do not let your hearts get distant. Do not say words that distance you from others. Otherwise, there will come a day when the distance is so great that you will not find the path to return.”
21. 太空中,眼泪不滑落。
No tears in space
Space is a lonely place. Hundreds of thousands of kilometers from home, astronauts have a hard life. It stands to reason that, once in a while, they need to have a good cry. But this is a lot harder than it sounds.

We still know very little about space, and about living in zero gravity (重力). In fact, we are discovering new things every time astronauts take to the skies (and beyond). As The Atlantic reported in January, crying is not all that simple in space. This is because when a person normally cries, gravity makes their tears move downwards. But in a spacecraft, this is not the case. Here, there is no gravity, which is why we so often see pictures of astronauts floating around. This means that, strangely, when you cry your tears have nowhere to go. As a result, they just stick to your eyes.

In May 2011, astronaut Andrew Feustel experienced this. “Tears,” as he said, “don’t fall off of your eye...they just kind of stay there.” This can be quite painful. In space, your eyes get very dry, and the added moisture is irritating (气人的). Sometimes, things get even weirder (更怪异的). The astronaut Ron Parise told The Atlantic that when tears get big enough, they “break free of the eye and float around”.

No one can be quite sure why we cry. Why should water in our eyes have anything to do with feeling sad? If you stop to think about it, crying is a very strange thing indeed. And now, thanks to the wonders of space, it just got even stranger.
回复

使用道具 举报

5#
 楼主| 发表于 2013-8-21 12:42:30 | 只看该作者
完整版下载 zk.doc (110.5 KB, 下载次数: 4579)
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

绿色圃中小学教育网 最新主题

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 12:16

绿色免费PPT课件试卷教案作文资源 中小学教育网 X3.2